Sunday, September 30, 2007

Volunteer NOW, think LATER...


“Phone ringing…”

Me:
Hello!Salam 3laikom. Hi Khalid, How are you doing mate? Whassup?OK man it is a good idea, but I am afraid that I don’t have the time to volunteer and do that work, I Hope next time. OK, let me think about it, and I will come back to you soon OK? Bye-bye.....

Honestly, how many of us have replied in that way when we have been offered a voluntary task? Where we had to think and think, and sometimes just for sake of finding excuses to not do that job? I was one those people, frankly speaking, couple of times. Why? For a simple fact: I was under the impression that I won't pressurize myself, I have a busy schedule and I can’t substitute the important tasks in my life with non-financial rewarding activities. Later I discovered how guilty I was!!

Let us firstly see how “Volunteer” is defined in the dictionary:

“To perform or offer a service of one's own free will”

This can takes many forms and many unfortunately think that whenever there is something wrong, we have to step in, and volunteer and make that wrong thing, right! But it is just more than that. I think we have a debt as matured people to pay back to our societies, and I would say that volunteering shouldn't be just an option. But why we should volunteer?

The interesting thing about paying out your debts is that it ain't like paying your loan–off to the banks, as me being a banker, I do understand the frustration. But a voluntary task pay back has many benefits:


- Provide opportunities for personal achievement.
- Allow volunteers to make new discoveries about themselves and others.
- Feeling they are forming social bonds

Indeed, people have made new friends, found marriage partners (opportunity for those who are not married), learnt new skills, developed character, and discovered health benefits through the sheer act of volunteering.

I wanna emphasize on one of a very crucial voluntary type, which is inspiring the youth. The reason I am emphasizing on this point here, is not because other voluntary works are less important. NO. But because I think, especially in this part of the world, most of the voluntary attentions are focused for disasters, environment and helping the disabled. (Reactive volunteers)

This reminds me of a story of a young boy standing on the beach near the ocean's edge, throwing starfish into the ocean. Someone questions the boy about why he is throwing the starfish back into the ocean; with millions of starfish and miles of beach the boy couldn't possibly make a difference. Reaching for another starfish and throwing it as far into the ocean as possible, the boy exclaims, "I made a difference to that one"


We can’t reach all, but we can reach few and that is not bad.

I have been given this chance 2 years back to join a non-profit organization called "InJAz Bahrain" , a member nation of the worldwide organization Junior Achievement, was established to provide young people with a business and economic education so they will have the knowledge, skills, tools and hands-on experience they need when seeking employment.




It has many modules like leadership, setting up a company, interviewing skills and many others. And I have been chosen to inspire them with the leadership skills.

Initially, I thought I was not fit for this task, of teaching leadership skills to the youth. I was under the impression that only highly skilled and experienced leaders can do that. But I found students really appreciated that, and the age gap between me and them has helped a lot in bringing the synergy and fun in the course. The "great person" theory of leadership is just plain wrong – Jim Kouzes “The leadership Challenge” The question for each of us is not "Do I matter?" but "How do I matter? "

I am quite sure, in doing so, we will have a strong impact on their life, especially the professional life. If you believe it is right, just do it and think later about its consequences. Young people don’t need to be taught any more English, math, computer...etc. They need hope and to be motivated. They need the aspiration through showing them our leadership.

So well you be the first person to volunteer?

Show them how much alive you are...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy said...
Well first of all, I am one of the million of people out there who rejected voluntary tasks.. Actually, back in high school, I was elected for the "young Supreme Council For Women" program, a GREAT opportunity to be seized!! but believe it or not, I actually REJECTED it!! convencing myself that I won't be able to cope and cooperate in these style of activities, and to be more honest, I still think that I can't !! The problem is we didn't have, as you mentioned, any motivation or inspiration sources to encouraged us to get involved in these voluntary tasks, which simply, these sources can be your own parents !! People should start "Volunteering" in these once in a life opportunites, Its an amazing chance to dicover yourself before dicovering others ....

Manutdfanatic said...

Guilty of rejecting a volunteering opportunity? I believe we all are, at one point or the other. It's high time everyone pitches in and makes amends; as they say, it's never too late to mend right?

Insightful post; I loved the example about the little boy and the starfish.

Keep it up. :)

Ammaro said...

its good to have a sense of doing something, just to do it. when you look back in the future, you have things to remember, not just your "job". and its a good sense of achievement, plus you never know what you coudl get out of it

Re.Loaded Soul said...

manutdfanatic,
Thanks for your words. You are right, later better than never!

Ammaro,
Yes, especially if you give a hope for someone, wich helps his/her to just be a better person..

Manutdfanatic said...

Update your blog, you lazy bum!
Better late than never, remember? :P

Re.Loaded Soul said...

manutdfanatic,

Sure, I will whenever I feel I have to say something useful for all:)